Friday, January 9, 2015

November 21st, 2014

I actually had to call to follow up on my test results. That seems like a good sign, right? Wrong. 2 biopsies. 1 cancer, 1 blob of hair (yeah, I don't really know either, but I prefer a hair blob to a cancer blob any day). 

It has been almost 2 months and I sill don't feel like it's real. Initially I was in and out of doctors offices getting examined and stabbed by what felt like a thousand needles. When the holidays got close there was just a lot of waiting for things to reopen. My dear friends Jamie and Charlie surely did not expect me come visit for Thanksgiving and stay until mid-January. At the very least they deserve a large trophy, but probably a puppy would be a more fitting choice. 

Initially, surgery was going to take place quickly and in Boise, Idaho. The doctor in North Carolina who called to deliver the news to me said surgery should take place ASAP--prior to Christmas. Excellent. Who wouldn't want cancer for Christmas? I, however, did not have surgery prior to Christmas. There were many reasons, but the details are not particularly important at this point. 

Around Christmas I was connected to Michelle from the Milwaukee, WI area who was diagnosed around the same age a few years ago. After talking with her and doing a lot of additional research I felt like I should get a second opinion to find out all of the options available. Michelle connected me to her doctors and on Monday, January 12th I will fly from Boise to Milwaukee and see doctors on Tuesday for a consultation. 

As of now I do not have a lot of answers, but here is what I do know:
-I have the most common type of breast cancer.
-My genetic testing came back negative (which is a good thing for both me and my family).
-They will have to complete surgery prior to knowing what types of post treatment they will suggest.
-There are a few different types of surgery options likely available.
-I hate biopsies and anyone who tells you "they aren't that bad" is potentially crazy, and anyone who has had to endure many of them deserves a kitten.
-I have not been working since I was not able to keep up my travel schedule due to previously mentioned doctors appointments and stabbings. However, am thankful for my benefits through work and our short term disability program. 

Speaking of thankful, I am beyond thankful for all of you--my friends and family. I feel genuinely cared for and support by each of you--thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Please do not ever feel helpless or like you are not doing enough. You are. I promise. I don't know how well I will be able to keep this page up, but I wanted to try to keep you with me on this unexpected journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment