A lot has happened since my last post. I met with a surgeon and plastic surgeon in Milwaukee, which was followed by more tests and stabbings. The good news is that the results of the stabbings seem fairly positive, but we won't know anything for sure until surgery. In other news, I have also learned how to spell the words surgery and surgeon.
After a lot of thought, I decided I wanted the doctors I met with to be on my team--you, my dear reader, are also on my team, by the way. I have no idea of how long recovery will be or what the next year of my life looks like, so it became apparent that I would need to relocate to the great state of Wisconsin. Between appointments I was able to find an apartment in Wauwatosa, which is about 10 minutes from the hospital and 10 minutes from downtown Milwaukee (Wauwatosa, that's another new spelling word for me). Craig and Joanne, some dear friends I have in the Milwaukee area, helped with support, transportation, appointments, etc., and it was more of a blessing than I can begin to explain.
So where are we today? Well, surgery is scheduled for February 12th. I am currently in North Carolina packing up my house and saying goodbye (I flew back Monday evening), while my dad is driving down from Illinois. Saturday we will make the drive up to Wauwatosa. I have appointments February 4th, 5th, 10th and 11th, and then of course D-day on the 12th.
Packing has been hard and there has probably been an unreasonable amount of tears. I don't really want to say goodbye to this place or my wonderful neighbors, Ginny, Jim, Amy and Bob, but I think it is the right decision. In Wisconsin, my family will be within a 3.5 hour drive radius and I have a good support system with friends in the general area. Oh, how I will miss this place though. I now truly understand why James Taylor sang so many songs about the Carolina's.
Alright, back to packing...
No comments:
Post a Comment